It makes me both sad and angry to read this and that people believe, it is true, which it is NOT
The Shih Tzu´s long silky hair proctects the dog against the heat (and cold), against the sun´s harmful uva- and uvb sunbeams, against flies, ticks and insects bites.
If you can see the dogs skin, so can the sun, insects... ect. ...
Keep your Shih Tzu i full (show) coat, keep him or her mats- and knots free and brush and comb him or her throughly throughrout each and every day removing thr death naturally shed undercoat, so that his or her skin can breath.
The death naturally shed undercoat can ONLY be removed by daily brushing and combing, not by clipping your Shih Tzu´s hair short, as so many mistankenly think or believe.
How to keep your Shih Tzu or other longhaired dog breed cool and healthy in the summertime:
- Daily brushing and combing revoming then death naturally shed undercoat
- Keep your Shih Tzu mats- and knots free
- Keep your Shih Tzu in full coat - let your Shih Tzu keep his or her long silky hair, as they are breed to have for that very reason, as protection
- Don´t clip or cut your Shih Tzu´s hair short.
- Always let yoru Shih Tzu have free access to fresh water
- Go for walks in the mornings, when it is still cool from the night or late in the evening, when the temperature has dropped to a pleasent level
- NEVER leave your Shih Tzu in your others car. That can quickly be deathly for your dog
- Keep you house cool, so your Shih Tzu can stay cool inside out of the sun
- Always check the surface - the ground, where you walk your Shih Tzu with the back of your hand to make sure, that your Shih Tzu do not burn his or her paws